Archives 2013 | Tastings, Hands-On Workshops and Beer Science Abound at Durham Science Museum
Local Brewers, Scientists and Beer Enthusiasts Gather to Celebrate Science of Beer - September 12, 2013
Contact: Leslie Pepple, Communications Manager
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Durham, NC - August 2013
Brew enthusiasts eager to learn more about their favorite beers from around the Triangle will offer a toast to science on Thursday, September 12, 2013 at the Museum of Life and Science's fourth annual Science of Beer. A part of the popular adults-only Museum AfterHours program series, this year's event features tastings from over 15 local breweries, scientists from the Duke Institute for Brain Scientists and the NCSU Brewing Lab. Guests are invited to participate in hands-on experiments and workshop sessions exploring everything from the science of skunking to the lifecycle of a malt.
"This is the perfect event for such a beer loving area - you not only get to taste so many of your favorite local brews, but also learn why you love them so much! Do you genes play a role in your preference for IPA or is it the way your body reacts to that aroma over others? We've seen incredible growth over the past four years in both the number of beer enthusiasts and local breweries eager to attend - we look forward to the biggest Science of Beer yet!" remarked Master Teacher and event coordinator, Adrienne Testa.
About Science of Beer 2013
Taste a variety of beers from over 15 local North Carolina breweries and meet the scientists who make yeast, hops and bubbles their life's passion.
- Tastings and experiments with local brew experts exploring yeast production, balancing bitterness with salt, role of fermenting vessels and more.
- Chocolate and charcuterie tastings complimenting beer selections provided by Escazu and G2B.
- Meet local scientists and enjoy hands-on beer themed workshops on the role of genetics in determining beer preferences and the impact of Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen on beer head.
- Enjoy local food trucks including Pie Pushers, Parlour and Only Burger.
- Over 15 local North Carolina breweries including:
|Fullsteam||Bull City Burger|
|Bull City Homebrew||Mystery Brewing Company|
|Lonerider Brewing Company||The Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery|
|Carolina Brewing Company||Foothills Brewing|
|Mother Earth Brewing||Sub Noir Brewing Company|
|White Street Brewing Company||Raleigh Brewing|
|Natty Greene's Brewing Company||Gizmo Brew Works|
|Triangle Brewing Company|
Special access available for media; contact LeslieP@ncmls.org