News Room | Forecasts Call for Snow (Chemistry) at Museum's Hands-On Investigative Science Lab
Durham Museum's Investigate Health Lab announces seasonal experiment series; activities included with admission
Contact: Leslie Pepple, Communications Manager
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Durham, NC - December 2013
Starting Wednesday, December 18th through January 18, 2014 the Museum of Life and Sciences’ Investigate Health Lab in Durham, NC will celebrate the season with hands-on holiday themed experiments exploring topics ranging from snow chemistry and ice skating physics to the nano-science behind popular holiday scents. A signature exhibit of the Durham based science museum, The Lab brings together educators and guest scientists with visitors through inquiry-based experiments in a fun and engaging atmosphere.
With “Let it Snow” activities guests can compare the crystal structure of ice with other mineral crystals using Lab microscopes and explore the chemistry of real and synthetic snow. Seasonal lab experiments change weekly; Lab hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10:30am-2:30pm. Thanks to generous support from the Biogen Idec Foundation, all Lab activities are free with paid Museum admission.
Sample Lab Holiday Schedule
Complete schedule at http://lifeandscience.org/thelab/calendar
- Holiday Lights: Build circuits out of holiday lights; play music with different conductive objects
- Cookie Chemistry: Mix up a bubbling batch of chemical concoctions and explore which creations make the fluffiest cakes and cookies.
- Nanoscience - Exploring Holiday Scents: Test your nose using different concentrations of holiday scents and discover how sensitive you are to nano-sized scent particles.
- Holiday Lights: Build circuits out of holiday lights and explore electricity as you play music with different conductive objects.
- Winter’s Plants: Explore changing the color of a poinsettia plant with chemistry, and studying different leaf specimens under the microscopes.
- Science of “Shiny”: Learn how animals use iridescence to survive in the wild. Make a bookmark that changes colors in the light, and test different objects for their luster.
Investigate Health Lab - Special Seasonal Experiments
Tuesday - Saturday, December 18, 2013 - January 18, 2014
10:30am - 2:30pm
Free with admission
More information at http://lifeandscience.org/thelab/calendar