- School groups save 55% off the general admission price; $8* per person (students, teachers & chaperones)
- 1 teacher per class admitted free per every 15 students
- Additional $3.70 off admission when you book a 50- or 90-minute program with your reservation
- Free admission when you book a 180-minute program with your reservation
- 48-hour notice is required to receive group discount (2 weeks preferred for booking with programs)
- Adult chaperones required for all groups
- Not a school group? Our group rate is $9* per person for groups of 10 or more.
*Includes 7.5% sales tax on admission fees
Box lunches can be purchased 2 weeks in advance through Sprout Cafe.
- We accept: school purchase orders, MasterCard/Visa/Discover/AmericanExpress, personal checks, and cash
- Groups will be invoiced upon request
- Individuals checking in and paying separately from the group will be charged the full admission price, not the group rate
- Members with membership cards should check in separately at the front desk
Ride the Train
Ellerbe Creek Railway – $3.25* per person (students, teachers & chaperones)
- No reserved seats
- Students must be accompanied by chaperone
- Tickets must be purchased at the group check-in window at time of check-in on day of visit to receive group discount. Otherwise, standard rates apply at the Admissions Desk.
*Effective Jan. 1, 2015 admission fees subject to 7.5% sales tax
Save time for a visit to our new gift shop, Gizmo Garage, designed especially for school groups. Prices are clearly marked and include the tax for the convenience of the youngest visitor. With prices between $.50 and $15.00, there’s sure to be something to fit every student’s budget.
*Includes 7.5% sales tax
Treat your students and yourself to a private science program led by Museum Educators! All programs are aligned with NC Essential Standards for Science. We set up. We teach. Kids learn and have fun. Everyone goes home happy. Use the above Field Trip Guide to see all available programs by grade level.
All programs have a maximum class size of 30. Just let our Reservations staff know if you’d like us to accommodate more students.
- 50-Minute Programs Our field trip programs are perfect for kicking-off or concluding a unit of study. Each session is packed with hands-on investigation that will support the hard work you’re putting into your own classroom lessons. Students are sure to experience these topics in a memorable way that will enhance their learning for years to come!
- 1.5 Hour Extended Programs Includes all activities from 50-minute programs, plus private access to some of the Museum’s most popular exhibits.
- 3 Hour Immersive Experiences Our most in-depth field trip option makes the most of Museum exhibits and technology, immersing students in a dynamic, hands-on learning environment unavailable anywhere else! Whether studying the behaviors of our red wolves, mastering physics at the sailboat pond, or running water quality tests on the docks of the wetlands, students become the scientists in these programs.
- Specific date and time of arrival (alternate dates may be required)
- School name, address, and telephone number; name of school district; names and email addresses of teachers in charge on day of visit
- Grade level and number of students and adults
- Name of program you wish to book
Reservations include access to the Museum’s hands-on science center, 84-acre outdoor campus and Magic Wings Butterfly House. All Museum grounds are fully accessible to visitors with disabilities.
- Students must be with chaperones at all times
- A minimum of 1 adult per 8 students for grades 3-8
- A minimum of 1 adult for every 5 students Pre-K thru grade 2
- 6 adults per class for 180-minute programs
To learn more about taking a field trip at the Museum, including program themes by grade, please explore our downloadable Field Trip Planning Guide.
In the case of inclement weather, please call our Reservations department 919-220-5429 x313. We will do our best to reschedule your visit and/or program as our calendar permits.
- 99% of participating teachers agree, Museum programs exposed their students to exciting, new materials not readily available in the classroom.
- 98% would recommend a Museum program to a fellow teacher.
- 97% of teachers would repeat a program with future classes.