- School groups save 55% off the general admission price; $7 per person (students, teachers & chaperones)
- 2 teachers per class admitted free
- Additional $3 off admission when you book a 50- or 90-minute program with your reservation
- Free admission when you book a 180-minute program with your reservation
- 48-hour notice is required to receive group discount (2 weeks preferred for booking with programs)
- Adult chaperones required for all groups
- Not a school group? Our group rate is $8 per person for groups of 10 or more.
Box lunches can be purchased 2 weeks in advance through Sprout Cafe. Minimum of 48-hour notification for lunch pre-orders.
- We accept: school purchase orders, MasterCard/Visa/Discover/AmericanExpress, personal checks, and cash
- Groups will be invoiced upon request
- Individuals checking in and paying separately from the group will be charged the full admission price, not the group rate
- Members with membership cards should check in separately at the front desk
Ride the Train
Ellerbe Creek Railway – $3 per person (students, teachers & chaperones)
- No reserved seats
- Students must be accompanied by chaperone
- Purchase tickets at the group check-in window or at the Admissions Desk day of visit; subject to availability
Treat your students and yourself to a private science program led by Museum Educators! All programs are aligned with NC Essential Standards for Science. We set up. We teach. Kids learn and have fun. Everyone goes home happy. Use the above Field Trip Guide to see all available programs by grade level.
- 50-Minute Programs Our field trip programs are perfect for kicking-off or concluding a unit of study. Each session is packed with hands-on investigation that will support the hard work you’re putting into your own classroom lessons. Students are sure to experience these topics in a memorable way that will enhance their learning for years to come!
- 1.5 Hour Extended Programs Includes all activities from 50-minute programs, plus private access to some of the Museum’s most popular exhibits.
- 3 Hour Immersive Experiences Our most in-depth field trip option makes the most of Museum exhibits and technology, immersing students in a dynamic, hands-on learning environment unavailable anywhere else! Whether studying the behaviors of our red wolves, mastering physics at the sailboat pond, or running water quality tests on the docks of the wetlands, students become the scientists in these programs.
Save time for a visit to our new gift shop, Gizmo Garage, designed especially for school groups. Prices are clearly marked and include the tax for the convenience of the youngest visitor. With prices between $.50 and $15.00, there’s sure to be something to fit every student’s budget.
- Specific date and time of arrival (alternate dates may be required)
- School name, address, and telephone number; name of school district; names and email addresses of teachers in charge on day of visit
- Grade level and number of students and adults
- Name of program you wish to book
Reservations include access to the Museum’s hands-on science center, 84-acre outdoor campus and Magic Wings Butterfly House. All Museum grounds are fully accessible to visitors with disabilities.
- Students must be with chaperones at all times
- A minimum of 1 adult per 8 students for grades 3-8
- A minimum of 1 adult for every 5 students Pre-K thru grade 2
- 6 adults per class for 180-minute programs
- 99% of participating teachers agree, Museum programs exposed their students to exciting, new materials not readily available in the classroom.
- 98% would recommend a Museum program to a fellow teacher.
- 97% of teachers would repeat a program with future classes.