Get Involved | Jobs at the Museum
Candiates must submit a resume or Museum application in order to be considered. Applications accepted via email (preferred) at firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 919-220-5575. Please note: alll applicants must pass a criminal background check prior to receiving a firm offer of employment.
Click here to access the online application if you do not have a resume to submit via email.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. All applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of materials however, due to the high volume of applicants, we will only further contact those applicants with whom we wish to schedule an interview.
Have a question about working at the Museum? Click here
Human Resources Specialist/Volunteer Coordinator
This is a highly visible position that requires a service-oriented individual who has been successful in a highly collaborative culture. This is not a position for someone who wants to sit at their desk and be left alone. We need someone who is willing and able to engage with the diverse departments, is passionate about our mission and is able to communicate that passion to current and prospective staff and volunteers. This opportunity will allow the right person a highly engaging role in a dynamic and changing organization and be a key contributor to our overall success.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Provide information and compliance with all federal and state labor regulations, including FLSA, FMLA, ADA, etc.
- Serve as primary recruiter, managing total recruiting life cycle
- Serve as primary user Sage HR software, including data entry, record updates, running reports as needed, providing training for new users and troubleshooting problems as necessary
- Support supervisors in all matters of employee relations, including recognition/rewards, promotions, disciplinary procedures and terminations.
- Participate in annual benefits renewal process, lead benefits enrollment and provide information to staff regarding benefits
- Recommend changes to policies and procedures as needed and oversee distribution and communication of changes
- Support VP for Administration with assorted duties, including but not limited to risk management, special project planning and implementation and HR budget input
- Participate as a member of the Safety Committee, providing advice and input to all matters of safety
- Coordinate and deliver various trainings throughout the year
- Actively cultivate strong working relationships with all managers and supervisors and work to maintain a strong understanding of their departments’ needs and challenges
- Coordinate uniform ordering and inventory maintenance
- Serve as high-level volunteer coordinator, handling recruitment, orientation, communication, recognition and departmental support. Also provide volunteer coordination and support for events, including but not limited to Santa Train, Pumpkin Patch Express and the Summer Youth Volunteer Program
Requirements for the position include 4-year degree in HR or related field, 2+ years’ experience as HR generalist, management experience, strong interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communication skills, demonstrated knowledge of federal and NC employment laws, experience with HRIS systems, strong computer literacy, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database systems and a strong commitment to the Museum’s mission and goals.
Preference will be given to candidates with PHR certification, experience in benefits compliance and experience with Sage HR/Payroll software.
Work is performed in a typical office environment although candidates need to be able to walk across campus for meetings and employee interactions. Candidates should be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time, see for purposes of reading printed material and computer screens, hear and understand speech at normal levels, communicate so that others will be able to clearly understand a conversation, be able to operate office equipment and be able to lift and carry up to 10 lbs.
This position is full-time exempt with a regular schedule of Monday-Friday 8am-5pm with occasional nights and weekends required. The hiring range is $35,000-$40,000/year plus benefits, including Museum-paid medical, dental, disability and life insurance and a generous paid leave program.
Applications will be accepted until either May 20 or until the position has been filled.
Birthday Party Educator
The Museum offers themed and basic party packages for young children up to ten years old. The Birthday Party Educators will assist party hosts with set-up and clean up, prepare materials and lead the parties, including delivering 30-45 minute science based programs.
We are looking for people with a high school diploma/GED, experience working with children, excellent customer service and communication skills and willingness to handle animals and insects (training will be provided). Candidates must also be able to stand for up to 4 hours at a time and lift 15 lbs. A background in education and/or science is preferred.
This position is adjunct, approximately 10-15 hours per week, primarily on weekends (9am-5pm Saturdays and noon-5pm on Sundays). Candidates must be able to work at least three weekends per month. Position starts at $8.25/hour.