- Employee participation in retirement plan
- Museum Membership
- Invitations to special events
- Museum discounts with the gift shop and science camp programs
- Health and dental insurance (employee only coverage paid by the Museum)
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Museum contributions to retirement plan
- Paid leave program
The Museum of Life and Science in Durham is looking for an Executive Assistant. This position is a full-time position. This position supports the Museum’s mission by providing support for the Board of Directors, the President/CEO and development function.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide time-sensitive support to the President/CEO as needed.
- Coordinate activities for and act as a highly-responsive and proactive liaison for Board of Directors, including coordinating timely emailing of monthly board packets, responding to Board member needs for information and support for action, meeting locations and refreshments, transcription of minutes, supporting Executive, Development, Finance and Governance Committee meetings and emailing/mailing of letters/memos from Board chairman and committee chairs as needed.
- Support VP for External Relations and other fundraising staff through data management and gift and activity tracking using Blackbaud software, assistance with donor stewardship including production of thank-you letters, member fulfillment packets, pledge tracking and payments and other tasks as needed.
- Coordinate, recommend & act to fulfill grants/reporting requirements as requested by the President/Executive Team.
- Support the administrative needs of the Executive Team, as needed.
- Provide back-up support for the Receptionist/Admin. Asst. in reception.
Requirements for this position include 3 to 5 years experience in an executive assistance role. Demonstrated professionalism, with the ability to work with high level board or government officials. Proven office management skills with excellent oral and written abilities. Attention to detail and demonstrated ability to work independently. Able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and to manage several projects at once as well as multi-phase projects. Experience in database data entry and report generation along with standard office software experience, including spreadsheet, word-processing and document processing software (Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc.) is needed. Candidates must have the flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends. It is also desirable that candidate have a BA/BS or advanced degree and have previous experience working with non-profit organizations and with Board of Directors.
Apply for this position by clicking the HOW TO APPLY tab above.
The Museum of Life and Science in Durham is looking for a Retail Associate. This position supports the Museum’s mission by providing excellent customer service to enhance the customers’ retail experience and maintaining strong operational protocol to protect the Museum’s assets.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides exemplary customer service to all guests according to accepted service standards
- Knowledgeable about current product lines and communicates product information to customers
- Knows and adheres to all policies and procedures, such as opening and closing, receiving and managing inventory, cash register operations and other administrative duties.
- Assists the Retail Operations Manager and Lead Retail Operations Associates in carrying out all necessary store tasks
- Knows and ensures that at all times Museum policies and procedures are followed.
- Knows and adheres to all merchandising standards with high attention to detail.
- Additional duties as needed
Requirements for this position include a demonstrated passion for customer service. The ability to accurately handle cash, charge, and check, and gift card transactions. Basic knowledge of computer systems. The ability to stand for up to 8 hours. The ability to maneuver around sales floor and stock room including repetitive bending, prolonged standing, twisting, climbing plus the ability to lift 40 pounds. Flexible schedule with weekend and potential evening work.
This position is non-exempt adjunct, approximately 20 hours/week. The Museum is open 9am-5pm Monday–Saturday and 12-5pm on Sunday. Apply for this position by clicking the HOW TO APPLY tab above.
Available positions are updated weekly. The Museum is an Equal Opportunity employer. All applicants will receive careful consideration, however, due to high volume of applicants, we will only contact applicants whom we wish to schedule an interview.
No phone calls please.
Candidates should send resumes to:
or via fax to 919-220-5575.
For an online application available to candidates without resumes, please contact the above email address.
Please note: all applicants must pass a criminal background check prior to receiving a firm offer of employment.